Sunday, December 18, 2016

Vegan Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Recipe

Vegan Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
1 3/4 cup gluten free flour
( I love Bob's blend.  Pamela's blend is also great!)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp molasses
1/2 cup vegan butter
(I use melted, it's made with coconut oil and has a nice buttery taste)
1 vegan egg
(I recently found the glory that is canned pumpkin and it's what I use here. 1/4 cup = 1 egg and works great in this recipe, you can also use, Ener G egg replacement or a flax egg)
1 tsp extract
(I use vanilla but almond and peppermint are great too.. try mixing it up!)

Frosting
I mix up my frosting recipes.  Your ultimate goal is to have icing that is NOT runny.
1 bag of powder sugar
1 tbsp corn syrup
tsp in almond or coconut milk to your desired thickness.  You can also use vegan butter or coconut oil or lemon juice.  Lots of choices ;)


To begin, mix dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, baking powder, corn starch, salt), set aside.
In a separate bowl (I use my mixer) mix the molasses and sugar.
Then cream your sugar and "butter".
Next add your vegan egg.  My favorite vegan egg for this recipe is pumpkin.  The taste doesn't carry over to the cookies and it works great!  Energy Egg replacement is my second favorite!
Now you'll add extract.  I love vanilla so that's my go to, but peppermint is also lovely especially if you're using peppermint to sprinkle on top of them after icing!
After everything is all creamed together you'll slowly add the dry ingredients, 1 to 2 cups at a time.
THIS PART IS THE MOST IMPORTANT.
Cover your dough and put in the fridge for 30 minutes (and up to 4 hours)  This dough is NOT the same consistency as your average sugar cookie.  It's much stickier.  If you don't chill before rolling and cookie cutting, you'll wish you had!

ready to chill in fridge

This is the time I preheat my oven to 350 degrees F.
Once chilled, pull out your parchment paper and cookie sheets.
Like regular sugar cookies, you'll need some extra flour to roll the dough on so it doesn't stick.


Cut your cookies.
SECOND MOST IMPORTANT
Place your cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking.  While vegan butter is similar to regular butter, it melts faster and you need to chill the dough again so your beautiful cookies hold their shape!


Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes depending on your oven!  My takes 9 minutes exactly.
Pull them out, put them on a cooling rack and repeat!




No comments :

Post a Comment